What are some ways you save money?
Submitted by Pixiemom.
Well, the cool thing is that most of the things you can do to conserve the planet's resources… also save you money! Bonus! Here are some things I do:
- Avoid disposable cleaning items (paper towels, Swiffer-type single-use junk, etc – cut-up old clothes are free)
- Avoid excess packaging (single-serve food items, individually wrapped anything – always more expensive)
- Turn down the thermostat and put on a sweatshirt
- Use the least amount and lowest temperature of water to do the job
- Re-use the backs of letters (including junk mail) instead of buying note-pads
- Go to the library instead of buying books (most of the time anyway)
- Stay out of stores and don't look at catalogs, unless I actually need something (as in, the old one fell apart and can't be mended)
- Drive a hybrid!
Here are some ways I don't save money:
- Spend $4 on a cappuccino almost daily (although I do at least bring my own cup… does that count?)
- Buy organic foods (but I know it's better for me, my family, and the planet, so I don't mind spending extra here – also don't get me started on the societal cost of cheap fatty manufactured food vs its price to the consumer)