I’ve been playing around a little bit with Microsoft Teams since about the first of the year, when it was still in Preview, and being at SPTechCon this week reminded me that I really should update the Teams Client app on my laptop now that Microsoft released it to General Availability last month. Of course, the web version is always up to date, but I tend to prefer using client apps, as I already have too many browser tabs open as it is 🙂
I first checked the version of the Teams Client app. To do that, you click on your profile icon in the lower left, which gets you to the Settings menu. Then after clicking Version, the version will show up in a small message at the top of the screen, which disappears after a moment.
My version was 0.6.00.34901. When I first viewed the version today, the message also said it was last updated in January some time, which may have been the last time I logged in to the Client App (rather than using the Web version). But when I went to capture this screenshot, it gave today’s date. I’m not sure whether that means it automatically did something in the background (?) – though the version was still a beta number (v0).
I thought I should be able to get an update from the Windows App Store, but I couldn’t find it. Then I noticed there’s a Check for Updates option in the App’s settings menu (see the screenshot above), so I clicked on that. I didn’t see it doing anything, but it did update the version number to 1.0.00.8201 – though not until I exited the App, and then also Quit it in the System Tray.
Interestingly, I see when I now right-click on the Teams SysTray icon, there’s a Get Logs option, which was not there before the update. And I can see in the log where I invoked the Check for Updates, and it downloaded and updated. Cool! Here are a few relevant log entries:
… Checking for updates, User invoked
… Download URL:https://teams.microsoft.com/desktopclient/update/0.6.00.34901/windows/x64
… Downloading file from – https://statics.teams.microsoft.com/production-windows-x64/1.0.00.8201/Teams-1.0.00.8201-full.nupkg
… Executing update command
… handleStartupEvent: Args: —squirrel-updated 1.0.00.8201 [I was curious and had to look that up.]
etc, etc, with various update steps and configuration updates. Successful in the end.
Just thought this information might be useful to someone 🙂
NOTE: The behavior and screenshots documented in this post were current as of April 2017. They may be different at a later date.